Your life may depend on this N500 medical test.
I saw a neighbour on my way to the church this morning and was worried when I saw his right leg swollen. I stopped and enquired what happened to the leg he could hardly move now. This was not so few days ago when I saw him last.
"I don't know what has happened to the leg", he told me with a weary face.
"No sir, you should know what happened. I guess you have been to a hospital, what did the Doctor say about it"?, I pressed further. My neighbour opened up. "They said I have too much sugar in my blood", he explained. I guess as much anyway because I have read much about diabetes and interacted with many victims.
Three years ago, I went for my usual medical check up. The results showed I had elevated sugar level, that was not threatening. Thank God, it was detected on time. I was placed on fruits therapy and asked to do just simple walk out exercise for two weeks to bring the sugar level down.
So, for two weeks during break, I would trek to and from Yaba to Oyingbo. And that was all. Since then I have become more conscious about my sugar intake.
The doctor told me then that if my sugar reading had passed a threshold, the intervention would have been through a life time drugs prescription or something more serious could happen.
May be this was what my neighbor did not do.
I am worried for my friend and I pray he recovers and the sugar level reversed. But serious diabetes always inflict, assault and compromise vital organs which swollen especially of feet or leg is a symptom.
Please, checking sugar level is just about N500. Early detection of diabetes leads to better management.
For your information, the cost of doing basic medical tests - BP, cholesterol, sugar level and X ray is not up to 20k.
Let us have discipline to do these checks twice a year. It may save us worries and pain. Some deaths are avoidable. This is not being spiritual but common sense.
Knowing our sugar level will guide us on foods and life style changes we need to imbibe. We may even be experiencing low sugar level without knowing it. Prevention is always better in all ramifications than treatment or cure.
We will not die prematurely in Jesus name.
By Moshood Isamota

No comments:
Post a Comment